Picture going on a trip to Alaska. You'd have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to photograph amazing wildlife and scenery never seen before. However, without the proper equipment the opportunity will be wasted. You're already spending thousands on this trip, and don't want to drop thousands more on camera equipment, so what do you do?
Enter… lens rental. Renting camera equipment is the perfect solution to acquiring equipment that you would not necessarily need long-term. It would cost thousands of dollars to buy certain items that you can rent for only a few hundred bucks, therefore it's the perfect choice. Here are some more reasons why you should rent lenses:
1. Try before you buy: Consider renting before your next big purchase.
2. Fill a short term need, such as a vacation or uncommon photo shoot: This is great when you will be photographing things at different focal length that you usually do.
3. Replace lens or camera that is being repaired: When your equipment is not working properly or is in for cleaning or service, you do not have to be without.
4. Extra gear for backup during an important event such as a wedding: You should always have backup during important events where a reshoot is impossible.
5. To get out of a rut: Sometimes a fun lens, like a macro, tilt-shift, or fish-eye can get you thinking creatively. But you may not want to invest in one long-term.
Considering renting camera equipment but don't know where to start? Check out Lendr, an up and coming app that displays all rental items in your area which you can then filter by location and price in order to make the best rental decision for you.
Got any other reasons to rent camera equipment? Have you had a positive or negative camera equipment rental experience? Let us know in the comments below!